Monday, March 13, 2017

Here are 3 facts about how stress impacts your digestion: When we are in a stress response, blood flow to the gut is up to 4 times less (blood flow is critical to digestion). When we are in a stress response, oxygen levels to the gut dramatically decrease (oxygen is also critical to digestion -- we call it Vitamin O). When we are in a stress response, enzymatic output in the gut decreases by as much as 20,000 fold (um, yikes!).

How are you? I hope your week is off to a great start! I am feeling SO awesome right now! I started school last week for my Mind Body Nutrition Coach certification and I can't even express how excited I am about what I am learning. I finally feel like I have found my calling. My mind is exploding with all sorts of facts, tips, and tricks that I am going to be sharing with you each week. This week, I wanted to talk to you about STRESS and DIGESTION -- a critical part of my studies right now. The other day I needed a super fast meal and this big salad came together in less than 5 minutes. It consisted of baby spinach, canned salmon, sliced cucumbers, two kinds of kraut, and crispy walnuts. I made a quick dressing with EVOO, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Yay for fast! BUT, even though the meal came together fast, the focus needs to be to eat slow. Did you know that when you eat in a rushed (i.e. you eat fast) or stressed state, your digestion shuts down? This means your body literally becomes incapable of breaking down your food and assimilating nutrients. You could be eating the most amazingly healthy food, but your body cannot utilize the nutrition in that food. Let that sink in for a minute. Most of us are eating in a stressed and/or rushed state and we don't even realize it. Of course you will know the high-level acute stress, but what about that low-level underlying stress that is there day in and day out? Both forms of stress shut down your digestion. Here are 3 facts about how stress impacts your digestion: When we are in a stress response, blood flow to the gut is up to 4 times less (blood flow is critical to digestion). When we are in a stress response, oxygen levels to the gut dramatically decrease (oxygen is also critical to digestion -- we call it Vitamin O). When we are in a stress response, enzymatic output in the gut decreases by as much as 20,000 fold (um, yikes!). When my instructor shared these facts with us last week, my brain went "poof!". I have been a fast eater for most of my life so this is an area that I am really working on right now. Today, I want to encourage you to spend a moment or two before you eat getting centered, relaxed, and focused on the meal. Try not to eat in front of the TV or your phone. To help promote relaxation around your meal, try turning on some relaxing music or light a candle to help set the mood. Little things like this can go a long way. If you are one who says Grace or asks a blessing before you eat, then this is the perfect time to really tune into the message are speaking to your higher power. If you don't say a blessing before a meal, then try to sit quietly and take a few deep, slow breaths before you take your first bite. As you eat, try to enjoy each bite. Pay attention to the flavors and textures in your mouth. Listen to what feedback might be coming from your mind and body. Getting present with your meals is one of the best ways to improve digestion and help shift your overall relationship with food. Much more about this to come! My brain is overflowing with new info, and I'm just one week in! Woot! :) Signing off for now. See you again next week! :) With love, Jessica P.S. My Eat the Rainbow eCourse is starting soooooon! It's going to be a super fun way to learn how to incorporate more veggies into your diet. We'll be launching at a steep discount too, so if you want in on the beta group, make sure you sign up for more info here.

No comments:

Post a Comment